Saturday, January 8, 2011

Ankle Arthroscopy (Days Three & Four)

So the effects of the "femoral block" wore off and I started getting sensation back in my ankle and toe.

My big toe came back from his "post-Op" slumber pretty grumpy, and he definitely let me know about it.

I would give the pain a 3 or 4 on the pain scale and it ranged from a dull throb to a sharp piercing pain depending on how I moved it in the "Robo-boot".

I joke about the fact that I was given the pain killer "Oxycodone" for pain management, but to be honest I have taken only 4 pills since the surgery on Wednesday as I don't like having the stuff in my body.

The way I look at it is if I can stand the discomfort in a controlled environment like sitting on my couch at home, then I am actually participating in "pain inoculation". The idea being the more comfortable one is with being "uncomfortable" the better you will perform when the "chips are really down" in a far less ideal environment.

Some people who see this will understand exactly what I mean. You can't know how you will respond under stress or injury if you never put yourself in that position.

Anyway, I'm sitting here at "day 4" propped up, relaxing with little to no pain. I won't post again about the ankle until Monday unless something out of the ordinary occurs. (Like me falling flat on my face trying to hop to the bathroom last night at 2:00am after my hand missed the bed railing, THUMP!! I'm down!!!) Good times.

Vintage Rock for your listening pleasure;

Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce & Eric Clapton... "Sunshine of your love".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remarks & Comments