Monday, January 10, 2011

Ankle Arthroscopy (Day 6) "First Follow Up"

Monday found me back at the Orthopedics office for the first of several follow up visits after the surgery.

As I negotiated the 3 flights of stairs from the parking deck to the entrance of the facility I chuckled to myself as to whether or not I would qualify for a coveted “handicap” parking spot closer to the sliding doors.

As I cleared the final landing in the stairwell, my momentum got the better of me and I almost went for a "ride” down the last section of steps creating quite a racket with the aluminum crutches.

I laughed out loud and muttered a choice obscenity as I caught myself on the hand railing.
At the bottom of the stairs just out of the trajectory of my stumbling there was a female chatting on her cell phone.

While I’m pretty sure I sounded like the Tin-Man from the Wizard of Oz as I struggled to regain my footing, the women not once looked up nor acknowledged my presence during my acrobatic routine.

As my hopes of receiving a judge’s rating of “5” for execution faded I cruised on by not wanting to interrupt her conversation.

“Clop, Clop, Clop” through the lobby, onto the elevator, and up to the receptionist’s desk where a pleasant office assistant handed me a clip board with the same form I have now filled out no less than 3 times and a pen.

“Waiting Room 5”….all the way at the end…Awesome!!!

“Clop, Clop, Clop” 2, 3, 4…Damn It! Dropped the pen…

I would estimate that there were five to seven people who were present in “room 4” when this occurred.

Granted I moved "lighting quick" for a man on crutches in the recovery of my pen, but no one budged, nor did they offer.

Over my right shoulder I realized there was a television hanging off the wall and that everyone was content where they sat.

The Doctor explained that he shaved off some scar tissue from my talus bone and cleaned up a few other things floating around in my ankle. My big toe received the same treatment and everything looked “good to go”.
“Looks good, start working on range of motion, you can walk on it when your ready, see you in 10 days to get those stitches out”.

I must say I’m bit perplexed as to what part of the recovery will take 6 weeks, but my intentions are to try and follow the Doc’s advice to the letter and not get ahead of myself.

Now for those toe curls…