Thursday, August 16, 2012

Still Kicking

So the Pirates page has been in a sort of limbo for months, not because things haven’t been going on, but quite the contrary actually.
In short order the following things have occurred in the span of a few months;
-We found out we were pregnant... "quite the gut check" (now I have to buy that Osprey kid carrier backpack)
- I lost my Father in law & Ash lost a dad
-Ash got a much deserved transfer
- I managed to get a promotion, then a transfer...to an evening shift... so in essence my preggers wife and I are like two ships passing in the night.
So that’s quite a bit to take in, and always a good place to look for perspective.
Well, I found just that in an article in Backpacker magazine.  
The article, appropriately titled “Heroes”, chronicled Kyle Maynard’s climbing of Mount Kilimanjaro, a 19,341 mountain in Tanzania.
Kyle and his 8 person team climbed the mountain to raise awareness for the staggering number of veterans who commit suicide upon returning home from Iraq & Afghanistan.  
So what’s so extraordinary about that?
Kyle Maynard is a congenital quadruple amputee.
Like I said; perspective...
So the reality of things is change is inevitable when you’re moving in a forward motion, and most of what  has occurred for both of us is positive (transfers) if not extraordinary (baby bump)...
So life is good, and to take a piece of advice given to Kyle Maynard from one of his team mates...
“Not dead, can’t quit”...
Cheers & on to the next adventure.
Stephen

3 comments:

  1. Having a baby is scary indeed, but I love my kid and enjoy (most) every minute. Lots of new adventures await....
    Recently my daughter finally gave up training wheels and now she's riding off curves and prefers to ride MY original 2-wheel bike, a now 30 year old 1-speed chrome plated frame with 16" wheels department store bike. Kinda cool to follow her around watching her swerve it up the road and into the dirt. Guess I might be following her on some mountain singletrack one day...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joel, I can't wait for the time where I can introduce him to a bike. Did you start your daughter off with the "balance bike" instead of the traditional training wheels set up? I passed a father and son riding at Poor Farm a few years ago when we first started talking about kids and I was like, "that is who I want to be"...

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried the balance bike but too late as I had already introduced the regular pedal bike with training wheels and that was her preferred bike.

    ReplyDelete

Remarks & Comments