Sunday, July 18, 2010

Moving On

Anyone who rides, and who has put in more “sweat equity” than most, have come to the same cross roads at some point in their life.

It’s the time when that once magnificent build that you poured your heart and soul into creating has simply ran its course, and although you have held on through the years and been its faithful companion, you realize that it’s time to say goodbye...

Everyone has their individual reasons why, and while I hope that it’s not because of the idea that “all that glitters is gold” and the bombardment of newer, better, plusher and faster, the decision to move on has been made none the less, and to each their own.

My decision to retire my 2003 Rocky Mountain Slayer is quite simple in that respect, and it boils down to the fact that I don’t enjoy it as much as I once did.

Simple right?

The saving grace is that my Salsa single speed, “Selma” has given me something to grin about in the short time that I have had her, and while I can’t put my finger on the exact reason “why” I know that now is the time to let go of one while embracing the other.

While I realize that it’s just a bike, anyone who has made the same decision also knows that it’s so much more.

The final ride was short but sweet, and the ribbons of sweat that poured down my face were a visible cue that the last ride wouldn’t be what the bike deserved, but that it was all that I could give.







And so it goes,
But never say that they don’t have soul...

* (What's a ride without lunch? Grilled kabobs with turkey sausage, chicken, pineapple, peppers, onions, and tomatoes).

1 comment:

  1. funny...I've felt the same thoughts/feelings when I've sold a bike...it's hard letting go. Even though it's a "bike", it has helped forge many memories and experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Remarks & Comments